Places to eat
This area is surrounded by restaurants, but things have changed
! Prior to the pandemic, some of our patients from out of state
combined a culinary expedition with a clinic visit. Right now
(i.e. in Sept 2020), due to the risk
of contracting coronavirus we recommend sticking with
carry-out food on the streets around the clinic. Beatrix is
probably the most practical place -- it has a cafeteria style
side to it, accessed through the hospital (carryout only), with
considerable outdoor seating for "dine in". It has remained open
because it is part of the hospital and we do not expect it to
close anytime soon. The challenge though is to find a place to sit.
Affordable eats close to the clinic
-- affordable around here means about $10-$15/head for lunch.
- On Erie, there is a Fridays next to the clinic.
Perhaps not the most kid friendly though. Not our
favorite for food either. It does have outdoor seating.
- The Northwestern Memorial Hospital has several "fast
food" style restaurants. We favor the first
floor "Beatrix" cafeteria for lunch. Maybe
$10/head here. No outdoor seating
- Saigon Sisters are on the 2nd floor as well. About
$15/head. No outdoor seating either.
- Potbellys on Ontario across from the
Marriott Fairbanks Court. Little outdoor seating.
- Blaze Pizza is next door to PotBellys. On Ontario.
Thin crust. about $10/head. Has some outdoor seating.
Malnati's. This is a deep dish pizza place,
similar to Gino's, Uno's and Due's and Giordano's (all
pretty close). These places are all very slow -- so
order ahead. Lou Malnati's is in a basement close to the
"Palace" Walgreens across from the Apple store on MIchigan and Chicago River. If you
want Deep Dish Pizza, we think it is much easier to go
to Giordano's. But don't forget to order ahead. No
outdoor seating either, but close to the river walk.
- Garrett's Popcorn. 625 Michigan -- really on Ontario
(These are all over the place, including in 1 block away).
- M-burger (Michigan/Huron) -- Its close. Small amount
of seating. Not fine dining.
- Whole foods (about 4 blocks away, on Columbus/Grand).
Has a large cafeteria on ground floor. This is probably
the cheapest place for healthy food. No outdoor seating
but you can take the stairs up to a park
Nicer but more expensive restaurants close to the
clinic. All casual.
- Bandera (535 N. Michigan, up an escalator) call ahead for
reservations, don't drop in, American, Jazz at night. Stay
away from the "specials". Bandera doesn't really do
reservations like other restaurants do- -when you show up,
then they look around for a table. Don't go at all if you
can't tolerate waiting around for 30 minutes after you show
up for your reservation. I guess they don't really care.
There is no outdoor seating here.
- Beatrix (very close, in Hospital, 671 N. St. Clair).
Eclectic -- seems pretty healthy, but limited selection. Not
cheap. American food.
Luxe Cafe (Michigan and Ohio, eclectic) one block west
and south just off Michigan. American. Quite an
experience. Certainly is past it's prime. Kids might like
it. Food is not its strong suit. No outdoor seating either.
- Coco Pazzo
Cafe (Michigan/Ontario, Italian, good and fairly fast).
About two blocks away 212 E. Ohio. Not cheap at all. No
- Capital Grille (St. Clair/Ontaro) Steak, good, not fast
food. about $20/head for lunch. No outdoor seating.
- Eataly is just behind Nordstroms on Michigan (i.e. 2
blocks south). It has many Italian fast-food operations
within a single building. Seems a little daunting, and maybe
a bit too stimulating for dizzy people. The "carry-out"
Pasta restaurant on the first floor is fast and good but
selection is very limited. No outdoor seating and seems a bit crowded.
- Lao Sze Chuan (520 N Michigan). Good, hot chinese food, a
bit pricey. No outdoor seating.
- Purple Pig -- next to Nordstroms on Michigan (500 N
Michigan). If you like pork. Stimulating. Not so good for
kids. This place is very trendy and loud. Nothing outdoor.
- The Publican (837 Fulton Market, about a 10 minute Cab
ride). Good food/Beer. Unique place. Do not try to walk from
nearly anywhere.No outdoor.
- Ocean Prime (across the river on Michigan). Sort of the
worst of both worlds -- mediocre food and high prices. No outdoor.
- Sayat Nova Armenian restaurant (157 E Ohio -- i.e. 2
blocks). Good for Kebabs/shrimp platter. Never that busy,
and very nice people. Very little outdoor.
- We do not favor the noodles/sushi restaurants across from
the hospital, or any of the "hotel" restaurants around
Northwestern Memorial Hospital. In their favor though is
that they are usually empty. They generally have no
There are also some "heavy duty" gourmet restaurants
fairly close to the clinic. These are all formal, slow, and
- Les Nomades (222 E Ontario). French. About a block away.
This is a "once a year" type restaurant. A little stuffy.
OK, very stuffy. No outdoor seating. Maybe closed.
- Shanghai Terrace (108 E Superior, in Peninsula hotel).
Chinese. Good spot. The cucumber salad is cool. The
Peninsula also has a small cafe, that is pretty good as
well. We have heard it is closed, like the Peninsula.
- Spiaggia (within walking distance, near Bloomingdales).
Fine dining. OK food. Not very busy. Do not really
recommend. No outdoor.